remove unneeded pstrdup in fetch_table_list

remove unneeded pstrdup in fetch_table_list

Hou, Zhijie
Hi

When append the name to the list, it use the following code:

nspname = TextDatumGetCString(slot_getattr(slot, 1, &isnull));
        Assert(!isnull);
        relname = TextDatumGetCString(slot_getattr(slot, 2, &isnull));
        rv = makeRangeVar(pstrdup(nspname), pstrdup(relname), -1);
        tablelist = lappend(tablelist, rv);

the nspname and relname will be copied which seems unnecessary.
Because nspame and relname is get from TextDatumGetCString.
IMO, TextDatumGetCString returns a newly palloced string.

result = (char *) palloc(len + 1);
        memcpy(result, VARDATA_ANY(tunpacked), len);
        result[len] = '\0';

if (tunpacked != t)
                pfree(tunpacked);

return result;

It may harm when there are a lot of tables are replicated.
So I try to fix this.

Best regards,
houzj

0001-remove-unneeded-pstrdup.patch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: remove unneeded pstrdup in fetch_table_list

akapila
On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 8:11 AM Hou, Zhijie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> In function fetch_table_list, it get the table names from publicer and return a list of tablenames.
> When append the name to the list, it use the following code:
> **
>         nspname = TextDatumGetCString(slot_getattr(slot, 1, &isnull));
>         Assert(!isnull);
>         relname = TextDatumGetCString(slot_getattr(slot, 2, &isnull));
>         rv = makeRangeVar(pstrdup(nspname), pstrdup(relname), -1);
>         tablelist = lappend(tablelist, rv);
> **
> the nspname and relname will be copied which seems unnecessary.
> Because nspame and relname is get from TextDatumGetCString.
> IMO, TextDatumGetCString returns a newly palloced string.
> **
>         result = (char *) palloc(len + 1);
>         memcpy(result, VARDATA_ANY(tunpacked), len);
>         result[len] = '\0';
>         if (tunpacked != t)
>                 pfree(tunpacked);
>         return result;
> **

Your observation seems correct to me, though I have not tried to test
your patch.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: remove unneeded pstrdup in fetch_table_list

Daniel Gustafsson
> On 13 Jan 2021, at 07:10, Amit Kapila <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your observation seems correct to me, though I have not tried to test
> your patch.

+1 to apply, this looks correct and passes tests.  Scanning around I didn't see
any other occurrences of the same pattern.

cheers ./daniel

Re: remove unneeded pstrdup in fetch_table_list

akapila
On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 2:55 PM Daniel Gustafsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 13 Jan 2021, at 07:10, Amit Kapila <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Your observation seems correct to me, though I have not tried to test
> > your patch.
> any other occurrences of the same pattern.

Thanks. I am thinking to backpatch this even though there is no
problem reported from any production system. What do you think?

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: remove unneeded pstrdup in fetch_table_list

Daniel Gustafsson
> On 13 Jan 2021, at 14:09, Amit Kapila <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 2:55 PM Daniel Gustafsson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On 13 Jan 2021, at 07:10, Amit Kapila <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Your observation seems correct to me, though I have not tried to test
>>> your patch.
>> +1 to apply, this looks correct and passes tests.  Scanning around I didn't see
>> any other occurrences of the same pattern.
> Thanks. I am thinking to backpatch this even though there is no
> problem reported from any production system. What do you think?

No objections from me.

cheers ./daniel

RE: remove unneeded pstrdup in fetch_table_list

Hou, Zhijie
> >>> Your observation seems correct to me, though I have not tried to
> >>> test your patch.
> >>
> >> +1 to apply, this looks correct and passes tests.  Scanning around I
> >> +didn't see
> >> any other occurrences of the same pattern.
> > Thanks. I am thinking to backpatch this even though there is no
> > problem reported from any production system. What do you think?
> No objections from me.

Best regards,
houzj

Re: remove unneeded pstrdup in fetch_table_list

Michael Paquier-2
On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 01:17:57AM +0000, Hou, Zhijie wrote:
>>> Thanks. I am thinking to backpatch this even though there is no
>>> problem reported from any production system. What do you think?
>> No objections from me.
> +1

text_to_cstring() indeed allocates a new string, so the extra
allocation is useless.  FWIW, I don't see much point in poking at
the stable branches here.
Michael

Re: remove unneeded pstrdup in fetch_table_list

Michael Paquier <[hidden email]> writes:
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 01:17:57AM +0000, Hou, Zhijie wrote:
>>>> Thanks. I am thinking to backpatch this even though there is no
>>>> problem reported from any production system. What do you think?

> text_to_cstring() indeed allocates a new string, so the extra
> allocation is useless.  FWIW, I don't see much point in poking at
> the stable branches here.

Yeah, unless there's some reason to think that this creates a
meaningful memory leak, I wouldn't bother back-patching.

Re: remove unneeded pstrdup in fetch_table_list

akapila
On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 10:51 AM Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Michael Paquier <[hidden email]> writes:
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 01:17:57AM +0000, Hou, Zhijie wrote:
> >>>> Thanks. I am thinking to backpatch this even though there is no
> >>>> problem reported from any production system. What do you think?
> > text_to_cstring() indeed allocates a new string, so the extra
> > allocation is useless.  FWIW, I don't see much point in poking at
> > the stable branches here.
> Yeah, unless there's some reason to think that this creates a
> meaningful memory leak, I wouldn't bother back-patching.

The only case where it might impact as per the report of Zhijie Hou is
where the user is subscribed to the publication that has a lot of
tables like Create Publication ... For All Tables. Even though for
such a case the memory consumed could be high but all the memory is
allocated in the Portal context and will be released at the statement
end. I was not sure if that could create a meaningful leak to any user
so to be on the safer side proposed to backpatch it. However, if
others don't think we need to backpatch this then I am fine doing it
just for HEAD.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: remove unneeded pstrdup in fetch_table_list

akapila
On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 3:05 PM Amit Kapila <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 10:51 AM Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Michael Paquier <[hidden email]> writes:
> > > On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 01:17:57AM +0000, Hou, Zhijie wrote:
> > >>>> Thanks. I am thinking to backpatch this even though there is no
> > >>>> problem reported from any production system. What do you think?
> > > text_to_cstring() indeed allocates a new string, so the extra
> > > allocation is useless.  FWIW, I don't see much point in poking at
> > > the stable branches here.
> > Yeah, unless there's some reason to think that this creates a
> > meaningful memory leak, I wouldn't bother back-patching.
> The only case where it might impact as per the report of Zhijie Hou is
> where the user is subscribed to the publication that has a lot of
> tables like Create Publication ... For All Tables. Even though for
> such a case the memory consumed could be high but all the memory is
> allocated in the Portal context and will be released at the statement
> end. I was not sure if that could create a meaningful leak to any user
> so to be on the safer side proposed to backpatch it. However, if
> others don't think we need to backpatch this then I am fine doing it
> just for HEAD.

Hearing no further suggestions, pushed just to HEAD.

With Regards,