review printing ecpg program version

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

review printing ecpg program version

Ioseph Kim-2
hi,

I found a little problem about printing ecpg version.

unlike PostgreSQL ver.11 other programs, ecpg version string has only
version number.


$ ./ecpg --version
ecpg 11beta3

$ ./psql --version
psql (PostgreSQL) 11beta3

$ ./pg_dump --version
pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 11beta3

I hope PostgreSQL product name be included in ecpg version string,

It will clarify version between other products (ex. EnterpriseDB
Postgres, GP, ...)


Regards, Ioseph.



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: review printing ecpg program version

Ioseph Kim-2
check please pg_config --version too.


2018년 09월 12일 15:52에 Ioseph Kim 이(가) 쓴 글:

> hi,
>
> I found a little problem about printing ecpg version.
>
> unlike PostgreSQL ver.11 other programs, ecpg version string has only
> version number.
>
>
> $ ./ecpg --version
> ecpg 11beta3
>
> $ ./psql --version
> psql (PostgreSQL) 11beta3
>
> $ ./pg_dump --version
> pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 11beta3
>
> I hope PostgreSQL product name be included in ecpg version string,
>
> It will clarify version between other products (ex. EnterpriseDB
> Postgres, GP, ...)
>
>
> Regards, Ioseph.
>
>
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: review printing ecpg program version

Michael Paquier-2
On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 03:55:56PM +0900, Ioseph Kim wrote:
> check please pg_config --version too.

Well, one problem with that is that you would break a ton of stuff which
parse this version string automatically.  pg_config --version is used by
many extensions to guess which version of Postgres is being worked on.
--
Michael

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: review printing ecpg program version

Ioseph Kim-2
ok, in case pg_config, ignore this, but It should be review in case ecpg.


2018년 09월 12일 16:03에 Michael Paquier 이(가) 쓴 글:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 03:55:56PM +0900, Ioseph Kim wrote:
>> check please pg_config --version too.
> Well, one problem with that is that you would break a ton of stuff which
> parse this version string automatically.  pg_config --version is used by
> many extensions to guess which version of Postgres is being worked on.
> --
> Michael


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: review printing ecpg program version

Peter Eisentraut-6
On 12/09/2018 10:32, Ioseph Kim wrote:
> ok, in case pg_config, ignore this, but It should be review in case ecpg.

fixed

> 2018년 09월 12일 16:03에 Michael Paquier 이(가) 쓴 글:
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 03:55:56PM +0900, Ioseph Kim wrote:
>>> check please pg_config --version too.
>> Well, one problem with that is that you would break a ton of stuff which
>> parse this version string automatically.  pg_config --version is used by
>> many extensions to guess which version of Postgres is being worked on.

--
Peter Eisentraut              http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Remote DBA, Training & Services

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: review printing ecpg program version

Michael Paquier-2
On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 02:41:11PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 12/09/2018 10:32, Ioseph Kim wrote:
>> ok, in case pg_config, ignore this, but It should be review in case ecpg.
>
> fixed

Thanks Peter for jumping in the ship.  What you did looks correct to
me.
--
Michael

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment