unsubscribe

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
42 messages Options
123
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

unsubscribe

Ibram Remzi
Please unsubscribe me from the list.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

amila
Please unsubscribe me from the list.

Thanks and Regards
 Amila Jayasooriya

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Ibram Remzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please unsubscribe me from the list.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Danyelle Gragsone

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Amila Jayasooriya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please unsubscribe me from the list.

Thanks and Regards
 Amila Jayasooriya

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Ibram Remzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please unsubscribe me from the list.

Please look at the listserv for options on how to unsub.  Yall are clogging the list with these.  


Virus-free. www.avast.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Ryan-4
Hi,

All right, so not for lack of trying, I cannot figure out how to unsubscribe. I've tried three different things, but they've either been ineffective or result in me getting an automatic email that the attempt failed. Kindly help? I enjoyed my daily digest of PostgreSQL messages, but this has been a bit difficult to manage.

Best regards.

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Danyelle Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Amila Jayasooriya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please unsubscribe me from the list.

Thanks and Regards
 Amila Jayasooriya

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Ibram Remzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please unsubscribe me from the list.

Please look at the listserv for options on how to unsub.  Yall are clogging the list with these.  


Virus-free. www.avast.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Tom Lane-2
Ryan <[hidden email]> writes:
> All right, so not for lack of trying, I cannot figure out how to
> unsubscribe. I've tried three different things, but they've either been
> ineffective or result in me getting an automatic email that the attempt
> failed. Kindly help? I enjoyed my daily digest of PostgreSQL messages, but
> this has been a bit difficult to manage.

Well, you didn't say what you tried exactly, so it's hard to say why it
did not work.  But the way that I think has the fewest chances of going
wrong is to find the List-Unsubscribe header in any message you get from
the new list server, and visit the web page it links to, and confirm there
that you want to unsubscribe.

Depending on what mail software you use, you might have to use some
command like "View raw headers" or "View original message" to see
commonly-hidden headers like List-Unsubscribe.

(If you indeed did that, and it failed to work, our list admins
would definitely want to know about it; but they'd want a lot
more details than you've provided.)

                        regards, tom lane

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Danyelle Gragsone
In reply to this post by Ryan-4
have you tried the link provided in the previous email?

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:16 PM, Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

All right, so not for lack of trying, I cannot figure out how to unsubscribe. I've tried three different things, but they've either been ineffective or result in me getting an automatic email that the attempt failed. Kindly help? I enjoyed my daily digest of PostgreSQL messages, but this has been a bit difficult to manage.

Best regards.


On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Danyelle Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Amila Jayasooriya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please unsubscribe me from the list.

Thanks and Regards
 Amila Jayasooriya

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Ibram Remzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please unsubscribe me from the list.

Please look at the listserv for options on how to unsub.  Yall are clogging the list with these.  


Virus-free. www.avast.com


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Ryan-4
So my searches on the web all seemed to be somehow connecting me with the old majordomo2 system. I think that may have been the attempt that got me a "failed" automatic email back. One other attempt, I couldn't find a list with exactly this name and tried the pgus-general unsubscribe, which failed. The third was something yet more convoluted. My email headers do not contain the string "List-Unsubscribe", at least on this message. Regarding a link, I don't know which previous email has any such link. A couple of days ago, I was getting a daily digest. Tonight I came home to check email and see many dozens of messages. I have no idea what to look for where. I understand and sympathize with the frustration you all must feel with me. I'm sure you put crystal clear instructions somewhere about how to handle this, and if I were a more responsible person with fewer things to do on a daily basis, I would and should have paid more careful attention.

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Danyelle Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
have you tried the link provided in the previous email?

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:16 PM, Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

All right, so not for lack of trying, I cannot figure out how to unsubscribe. I've tried three different things, but they've either been ineffective or result in me getting an automatic email that the attempt failed. Kindly help? I enjoyed my daily digest of PostgreSQL messages, but this has been a bit difficult to manage.

Best regards.


On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Danyelle Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Amila Jayasooriya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please unsubscribe me from the list.

Thanks and Regards
 Amila Jayasooriya

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Ibram Remzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please unsubscribe me from the list.

Please look at the listserv for options on how to unsub.  Yall are clogging the list with these.  


Virus-free. www.avast.com



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Danyelle Gragsone

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:47 PM, Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
So my searches on the web all seemed to be somehow connecting me with the old majordomo2 system. I think that may have been the attempt that got me a "failed" automatic email back. One other attempt, I couldn't find a list with exactly this name and tried the pgus-general unsubscribe, which failed. The third was something yet more convoluted. My email headers do not contain the string "List-Unsubscribe", at least on this message. Regarding a link, I don't know which previous email has any such link. A couple of days ago, I was getting a daily digest. Tonight I came home to check email and see many dozens of messages. I have no idea what to look for where. I understand and sympathize with the frustration you all must feel with me. I'm sure you put crystal clear instructions somewhere about how to handle this, and if I were a more responsible person with fewer things to do on a daily basis, I would and should have paid more careful attention.

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Danyelle Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
have you tried the link provided in the previous email?

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:16 PM, Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

All right, so not for lack of trying, I cannot figure out how to unsubscribe. I've tried three different things, but they've either been ineffective or result in me getting an automatic email that the attempt failed. Kindly help? I enjoyed my daily digest of PostgreSQL messages, but this has been a bit difficult to manage.

Best regards.


On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Danyelle Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Amila Jayasooriya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please unsubscribe me from the list.

Thanks and Regards
 Amila Jayasooriya

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Ibram Remzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please unsubscribe me from the list.

Please look at the listserv for options on how to unsub.  Yall are clogging the list with these.  


Virus-free. www.avast.com




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Ryan-4
Great, thanks. At risk of provoking the ire of all on the listserv with one final message before I sign out, PostgreSQL rocks. I love the documentation, the support, the community, the software, the C back-end, the features (really wish for 8-bit native integers, though, because it makes a big storage difference even after TOAST in use cases with large arrays; TINYINT extension broken in PG10).

In short, all of you who make it what it is. Thank you!

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:57 PM, Danyelle Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

Virus-free. www.avast.com

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:47 PM, Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
So my searches on the web all seemed to be somehow connecting me with the old majordomo2 system. I think that may have been the attempt that got me a "failed" automatic email back. One other attempt, I couldn't find a list with exactly this name and tried the pgus-general unsubscribe, which failed. The third was something yet more convoluted. My email headers do not contain the string "List-Unsubscribe", at least on this message. Regarding a link, I don't know which previous email has any such link. A couple of days ago, I was getting a daily digest. Tonight I came home to check email and see many dozens of messages. I have no idea what to look for where. I understand and sympathize with the frustration you all must feel with me. I'm sure you put crystal clear instructions somewhere about how to handle this, and if I were a more responsible person with fewer things to do on a daily basis, I would and should have paid more careful attention.

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:42 PM, Danyelle Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
have you tried the link provided in the previous email?

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 10:16 PM, Ryan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

All right, so not for lack of trying, I cannot figure out how to unsubscribe. I've tried three different things, but they've either been ineffective or result in me getting an automatic email that the attempt failed. Kindly help? I enjoyed my daily digest of PostgreSQL messages, but this has been a bit difficult to manage.

Best regards.


On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Danyelle Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Amila Jayasooriya <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please unsubscribe me from the list.

Thanks and Regards
 Amila Jayasooriya

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Ibram Remzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please unsubscribe me from the list.

Please look at the listserv for options on how to unsub.  Yall are clogging the list with these.  


Virus-free. www.avast.com





Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Tom Lane-2
In reply to this post by Danyelle Gragsone
Danyelle Davis <[hidden email]> writes:
> https://lists.postgresql.org/manage/

But note that that's only going to help if you've set up a "PG community
account", which up to now nobody has needed unless they wanted to edit
our wiki or work in our commitfest app, so it's a good bet that most
subscribers to our lists haven't got one.  The List-Unsubscribe link
is supposed to work without needing a community account.  It disturbs
me that Ryan says he's not seeing one in traffic from the list.
I certainly am getting one in all the mail I get from the new server.

I wonder whether there are complicating factors Ryan hasn't mentioned,
like maybe his traffic is getting forwarded from some other account
on some other email provider.  If so, maybe the List-Unsubscribe
header is getting dropped in forwarding?  That's a reach, but it's
hard to explain otherwise.

                        regards, tom lane

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Ryan-4
.Hmm, yes, indeed. I tried to login to that site with my listserv account credentials, and that got me nowhere either.

Also, I just checked this message too. Downloaded the raw message including headers. Search in text editor for string "List-Unsubscribe" and anything at all like it comes up with only the text you wrote in your email, Tom. I'm definitely not getting it... I thought maybe I had set these messages to forward through my work email account, but I just verified that there is no forwarding. I subscribed under the address at which I'm reading them.

Ryan

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:07 PM, Tom Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
Danyelle Davis <[hidden email]> writes:
> https://lists.postgresql.org/manage/

But note that that's only going to help if you've set up a "PG community
account", which up to now nobody has needed unless they wanted to edit
our wiki or work in our commitfest app, so it's a good bet that most
subscribers to our lists haven't got one.  The List-Unsubscribe link
is supposed to work without needing a community account.  It disturbs
me that Ryan says he's not seeing one in traffic from the list.
I certainly am getting one in all the mail I get from the new server.

I wonder whether there are complicating factors Ryan hasn't mentioned,
like maybe his traffic is getting forwarded from some other account
on some other email provider.  If so, maybe the List-Unsubscribe
header is getting dropped in forwarding?  That's a reach, but it's
hard to explain otherwise.

                        regards, tom lane

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

John R Pierce
In reply to this post by Tom Lane-2
On 11/20/2017 7:40 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Depending on what mail software you use, you might have to use some
> command like "View raw headers" or "View original message" to see
> commonly-hidden headers like List-Unsubscribe.


in gmail, its Show Original, on the down-tick menu next to the 'Reply'
button.


--
john r pierce, recycling bits in santa cruz


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Rafal Pietrak
In reply to this post by Ryan-4
Hi all,

Have anyone noticed, that last couple of days on the list, can become a
nice example of HOWTO turn the best list on the planet into a nightmare?

Pls forgive rudeness, but IMHO, whoever made the "upgrade" should
manually take all the "unsubscribe" messages from archive and do that
"unsubscription" by hand .... instead of giving not always helpfull
guidance.

I do system maintenance for money. I do that when I screwup.

Regards,

-R

W dniu 21.11.2017 o 04:16, Ryan pisze:

> Hi,
>
> All right, so not for lack of trying, I cannot figure out how to
> unsubscribe. I've tried three different things, but they've either been
> ineffective or result in me getting an automatic email that the attempt
> failed. Kindly help? I enjoyed my daily digest of PostgreSQL messages,
> but this has been a bit difficult to manage.
>
> Best regards.
>
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:37 PM, Danyelle Davis <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>
>     On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Amila Jayasooriya
>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         Please unsubscribe me from the list.
>
>         Thanks and Regards
>          Amila Jayasooriya
>
>         On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 3:48 AM, Ibram Remzi
>         <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>             Please unsubscribe me from the list.
>
>     Please look at the listserv for options on how to unsub.  Yall are
>     clogging the list with these.  
>
>
>     <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon>
>     Virus-free. www.avast.com
>     <https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link>
>
>
>     <#m_4396185798928146462_m_941694909827362166_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Craig Ringer-3
On 21 November 2017 at 15:17, Rafal Pietrak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Have anyone noticed, that last couple of days on the list, can become a
nice example of HOWTO turn the best list on the planet into a nightmare?

Pls forgive rudeness, but IMHO, whoever made the "upgrade" should
manually take all the "unsubscribe" messages from archive and do that
"unsubscription" by hand .... instead of giving not always helpfull
guidance.

The list used to have a filter that blocked messages with "unsubscribe" in the subject or forced them into moderation the moderation queue. 

I thought that'd be preserved with the PgLister migration. 

But really, a nightmare? Yeah, it's a pain, but I think that's laying it on a bit strong. Personally I appreciate the hard and usually thankless work the infrastructure and admin team do.

--
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Achilleas Mantzios
On 21/11/2017 09:19, Craig Ringer wrote:
On 21 November 2017 at 15:17, Rafal Pietrak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Have anyone noticed, that last couple of days on the list, can become a
nice example of HOWTO turn the best list on the planet into a nightmare?

Pls forgive rudeness, but IMHO, whoever made the "upgrade" should
manually take all the "unsubscribe" messages from archive and do that
"unsubscription" by hand .... instead of giving not always helpfull
guidance.

The list used to have a filter that blocked messages with "unsubscribe" in the subject or forced them into moderation the moderation queue. 

I thought that'd be preserved with the PgLister migration. 

But really, a nightmare? Yeah, it's a pain, but I think that's laying it on a bit strong. Personally I appreciate the hard and usually thankless work the infrastructure and admin team do.

The problem IMHO is not the traffic per se, but the fact that the vast majority are unsubscribe messages. Maybe if subscribe messages were included that would certainly feel better :)


--
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services


-- 
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead
IT DEPT
Dynacom Tankers Mgmt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Murtuza Zabuawala
In reply to this post by Craig Ringer-3
On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 12:49 PM, Craig Ringer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 21 November 2017 at 15:17, Rafal Pietrak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Have anyone noticed, that last couple of days on the list, can become a
nice example of HOWTO turn the best list on the planet into a nightmare?

Pls forgive rudeness, but IMHO, whoever made the "upgrade" should
manually take all the "unsubscribe" messages from archive and do that
"unsubscription" by hand .... instead of giving not always helpfull
guidance.

The list used to have a filter that blocked messages with "unsubscribe" in the subject or forced them into moderation the moderation queue. 

I thought that'd be preserved with the PgLister migration. 

But really, a nightmare? Yeah, it's a pain, but I think that's laying it on a bit strong. Personally I appreciate the hard and usually thankless work the infrastructure and admin team do.
​+1​
 


--
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Rafal Pietrak
In reply to this post by Craig Ringer-3

I'm very very sorry for my rude words. I do understand and truelly appreciate continues availability of the list. I know (from my own experence) it takes signifficant effort to maintain.

Nonetheless, I do stand by opinion, that it would annoy less if the infant state of the new list servar was babysitted for a while.

Regards

R

21.11.2017 8:19 AM Craig Ringer <[hidden email]> napisał(a):
On 21 November 2017 at 15:17, Rafal Pietrak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Have anyone noticed, that last couple of days on the list, can become a
nice example of HOWTO turn the best list on the planet into a nightmare?

Pls forgive rudeness, but IMHO, whoever made the "upgrade" should
manually take all the "unsubscribe" messages from archive and do that
"unsubscription" by hand .... instead of giving not always helpfull
guidance.

The list used to have a filter that blocked messages with "unsubscribe" in the subject or forced them into moderation the moderation queue. 

I thought that'd be preserved with the PgLister migration. 

But really, a nightmare? Yeah, it's a pain, but I think that's laying it on a bit strong. Personally I appreciate the hard and usually thankless work the infrastructure and admin team do.

--
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
 PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training & Services
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Magnus Hagander-2
In reply to this post by Rafal Pietrak
On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 8:17 AM, Rafal Pietrak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Have anyone noticed, that last couple of days on the list, can become a
nice example of HOWTO turn the best list on the planet into a nightmare?

Pls forgive rudeness, but IMHO, whoever made the "upgrade" should
manually take all the "unsubscribe" messages from archive and do that
"unsubscription" by hand .... instead of giving not always helpfull
guidance.

So what makes you think that's not what they're doing?

Note that the majority of the advice posted have not been from the people who actually are doing the system upgrade. It's from fellow users.

So to show some numbers, since the migration, 57 unsubscriptions have been processed manually by the people who were involved in the migration. This is a mix of people who posted unsubscribe requests that ended up getting moderated, and people who posted publicly. 

During this time, the systems have also processed 282 unsubscriptions from people who managed to read and work with the instructions.

--
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Magnus Hagander-2
In reply to this post by Craig Ringer-3

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 8:19 AM, Craig Ringer <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 21 November 2017 at 15:17, Rafal Pietrak <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

Have anyone noticed, that last couple of days on the list, can become a
nice example of HOWTO turn the best list on the planet into a nightmare?

Pls forgive rudeness, but IMHO, whoever made the "upgrade" should
manually take all the "unsubscribe" messages from archive and do that
"unsubscription" by hand .... instead of giving not always helpfull
guidance.

The list used to have a filter that blocked messages with "unsubscribe" in the subject or forced them into moderation the moderation queue. 

I thought that'd be preserved with the PgLister migration. 

It is preserved.

But they are easily fooled. We can't match every mail that contains the word unsubscribe (or subscribe) *anywhere*. There are restrictions. And they have a hard time dealing with people posting in pure-html-mail-with-no-plaintext-part and things like that.

The filters have trapped around 30 emails so far that didn't make it to the list because of those.

 
But really, a nightmare? Yeah, it's a pain, but I think that's laying it on a bit strong. Personally I appreciate the hard and usually thankless work the infrastructure and admin team do.

Thanks! 

--
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: unsubscribe

Stephen Frost
In reply to this post by Craig Ringer-3
Greetings Rafal and Craig,

* Craig Ringer ([hidden email]) wrote:
> On 21 November 2017 at 15:17, Rafal Pietrak <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Pls forgive rudeness, but IMHO, whoever made the "upgrade" should
> > manually take all the "unsubscribe" messages from archive and do that
> > "unsubscription" by hand .... instead of giving not always helpfull
> > guidance.

I have been doing exactly that, thanks.

> The list used to have a filter that blocked messages with "unsubscribe" in
> the subject or forced them into moderation the moderation queue.

It does again.

> I thought that'd be preserved with the PgLister migration.

We had it on the body but didn't have it on the subject.  Hindsight is
ever perfect.

Let's try to not continue to complain on-list.  If you have a complaint
or concern regarding the list, please email me directly and I'll do the
best I can to address it.

Thanks!

Stephen

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
123